Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Being fathered

I finished Donald Miller's most recent book, 'To Own A Dragon: Reflections on growing up without a father,' and it was incredible. I lost my dad when I was 4 years old and the two step dads I had were less than fatherly to say it nicely. So this book healed, hurt and humbled me in new ways and led me to digging into parts of my heart I didn't know were there. It gave me a whole new appreciation for God as my father and also really helped me feel grateful for the adult males who had a hand in mentoring me. My father-in-law is one of those guys and he played such a similar role in my life as the one John MacMurray played in Donald Miller's. The book is full of humor, raw honesty, and such a genuine care for those who have grown up without the presence of a father in their life. I grabbed a copy for my older brother knowing that we have had so many conversations over the years on dealing with a fatherless upbringing and how that has played into how we live, so I know he will take comfort in this great read as well. I would love to be able to communicate some of the feelings I have had pouring thru me over the last few days while reading and journaling thru this book. But my heart can't yet put words to it in a way that makes sense to anyone other than me I guess. My journal is a hodge podge of meanderings that probably would give most people a headache trying to process the random scratching that I do, so I'll just wait. I did want to list some of the stats that are given on fatherless living and just continue to pray on how I can best be a wounded-healer to kids and young men who are fatherless.

63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes- 5 times the average.
85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes- 20 times the average.
80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes- 14 times the average.
71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes- 9 times the average.
75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes- 10 times the average.
70% of youths in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes- 9 times the average.
85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes- 20 times the average.

Being Fathered
Wallace D.

No comments: