Friday, February 20, 2009

Reading & Writing

I just wanted to share a couple of thoughts by Donald Miller, found in his book 'To Own A Dragon,' which shook up my heart like a snow globe. The way in which you would shake the globe furiously and then watch as the snow falls and drifts slowly all around the inside to create beauty. These thoughts did the same thing to my heart and what came sprinkling down onto the foundation of my heart was a purpose and passion I had yet to encounter.

"Some people find beauty in music, some in painting, and some in landscape, but I find it in words. By beauty, I mean the feeling you have suddenly glimpsed another world, or looked into a portal that reveals a kind of magic or romance out of which the world has been constructed, a feeling there is something more than the mundane, and a reason for our plodding. The portal is different for everyone."

"... we do not read books to learn, we do not learn to succeed, we learn because in doing so we experience something like the pleasure God felt in the act of creation. We discover His handiwork with Him."

Finding my place in the story
Wallace D.

No comments: